My Blog List

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

My father must be laughing his wings off.
This week I had to kick my youngest daughter out of the house. To make a long story short, she refused to abide by the rules of the house. The same violation of the same rule happened three days in a row. Her answer was that she was 18 and doesn't need rules and we can't make her abide by these rules. This was the hardest decision I've ever had to make, but I had no choice. I still love her very much but she challenged me and I could not back down again. My father, who passed away over a year ago, must be laughing in heaven. When I moved out at age 18, he told me I would someday have that same problem with my own children. He was right, and it turned out very good, so I guess I am in good company with my decision. My father had been dead over a year, and incapacitated by althimerz for 5 years, and still he is giving advice. Thanks Dad

1 comment:

Clif Martin said...

Oh yeah. parenting hurts so bad sometimes that you wish you had kept your pants on. But you know it does no good to tell your sons to to keep theirs on and your daughters to keep their legs crossed. I have at times considered moving to a part of the world where young adults lavish dignity, respect and care on their aging parents ... if, indeed, such places exist anymore.