My Blog List

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

I just realized that it was fifty years ago that I had my first piano recital. Since then I have played in all states east of the Mississippi except 2, and a few states west of the Mississippi. I have played in more denomination than I can count, and a few more bars on the weekend. I have played for Weddings and funerals, baptism, confirmations, and last requests for dying people. I have played organs, all kind of pianos, mogue synthesizer and many electric keyboards. The only organ I haven't played is a Wurlitzer. This is the one with all the drums etc...
I'm writing about this for a good reason. My grandfather, whom I got the music gene from, never told me anything about the piano. He never taught me to play, never told stories of his playing history, nothing at all. I have heard second hand stories, but that was it. He died when I was very young. My father and mother did not have musical ability. My mother felt that if I were young enough to go to school, I could start learning to play the piano. My oldest sisters, and older brother were also taking lesson at this time. My oldest sister and I would would continue with lessons. Every morning,starting at 6am, you could hear my sister and I practicing the piano. I still have my first piano, waiting in the garage to be refinished. For the next 10 years I would take lesson, and once a year participate in a piano recital. The early years were mainly a lot of practice and occasional performance. With all that practice you would think I would have been better. Piano was the starting point for instrumental and vocal training and performing.

No comments: