My Blog List

Friday, September 26, 2008

When I was a young lad on the southeast side of Grand Rapids that was the world. People went to school there, raised families there, worked there, and lived their life out there. Aside from a few trips around Michigan or if you were fortunate, around the United States, everything was around the area. Very few of my friends left the area to go to college, deciding to go locally. When I decided to go to Ferris State College I was considered going a long way away. You would have thought I was going around the world when after College I elected to go and live in upstate New York.
Now, Most of my friends that I grew up with have moved away, many living abroad. I have friends that live all over the world, both old friends and new friends. Our little neighborhoods have grown. I could not have planned my life out. Marrying and girl from New York, living there, and in Michigan, and Indiana. Having 3 Children, and one child who we took guardianship of, and now watching them marry. My wife and I have endured major medical problems that has stop us from being Millionaires. So much has changed except one thing. My faith in Jesus Christ. Through it all, he has guided my hand and has lead, and is leading me on an incredible journey. I've learned to enjoy things, even when they didn't go my way, and enjoy them even more when they do go my way. I believe that the down times make the up times that much more enjoyable.
This weekend my oldest sister will celebrate her 60th birthday. To me this is incredible. The following weekend my oldest daughter will get married. Two of my three biological children will be married. My father is passed on, and now my kids look to me like I was a wise sage or something. I can't go back and ask my father his advice, so I have to give them my words of wisdom. Scary isn't it?

No comments: